Monday, July 09, 2007

Bienvenidos a Honduras

Welcome BACK to Honduras! I am so glad to have returned, and so soon!  I am in the middle of nursing school, completing a graduate degree in Clinical Nurse Leadership - and was able to connect the University of Virginia with Nurse Peggy's clinic in Roatan for an International Community Health experience.  My mom decided to come with me to volunteer her psychiatry knowledge in the clinic as well.  I am not sure what project I will do here - but I am looking forward to these next three weeks and the different view I will get of being in this country through the lens of nurse.

So, after a sleepless night and two flights - my mother and I made it to Roatan in one piece. It is amazing how familiar sights and sounds are here... how there are little things that I forgot about - like the ant trails in your house or the trash thrown about on the ground... the sound of spanish rolling off of the tongue or the "every man for himself" driving... :) I am surprised at how well I am tolerating the heat - it feels much more natural and I prefer this to the cold AC.... (I say that now...)
Coming back, there is a certain feeling of coming home - this is such a special place in my heart - and all the more I long to go to Ceiba once again.
Already, we have eaten baleadas.. watched dolphins perform... caught a crab in the sink... got bitten by bugs... made some new friends while maintaining old friendships.
It is wonderful to be back in this country... for all of the difficult things about it, for all the wonderful people and sights and sounds... all that it is, I love it.

No comments: