Friday, July 27, 2007

con amor


For my last 6 days in Honduras, Mom and I traveled to Ceiba - and we brought along Raquel for the first couple of days to give her another view of Honduras from the Island. It was so wonderful to be back in this place - and to see and share life with people that forever hold a special place in my heart.
Some of my most special time in Honduras was spent at my Honduran family's house ("mi familia catracha"). We have mutually adopted each other... and every time I visit Ceiba, I make the hour long bus trip to Armenia Bonito - a village behind Ceiba's airport - to visit them. We (Mom, Raquel, and I) enjoyed piecing together a couple rompecabezas (puzzles) this time - they definitely took a while as one was 550 pieces and the other was 1000 pieces! I am not sure they are used to spending so much time doing something like that - but it was definitely a challenge for us all!I can't get over how much they had grown and changed in the 14 months I have been away - but at the same time, they are still the same sweet, fun-loving family that so generously open their home and all they have to me and whomever else I bring with me out to spend time with them. :)
My family also challenged me with being able to ride their horse - La Gringa. What a name! I told them that I would be able to do it - which I am not so sure they believed.. and had a good time impressing them with my horseback-riding abilities - galloping around Armenia Bonito. I think my family was scared for my life - but I was having a great time... :)
My mother was able to spend time in the "kitchen" with Maria (the honduran mother) and they made some tortillas together. :) Mom then decided she should buy Maria a tortilla press, which the bestowed upon Maria in our last time together, since that is what my mom likes to use to make tortillas of her own. I can't help but wonder if she uses it now, I like to think so as it would make her work go so much quicker.
Another special memory was with Maria's oldest daughter, Dania.She is graduating from high school this December and currently working in her tourism practicum at a hotel just down the road from where we were spending the night. Dania spent the night with my mom and I - and so I took her out for a "night on the town" - to dinner and a movie. It was so fun - and she told me it was one of the best nights of her life... which made my own heart so happy. I love that I have been able to give of myself and whatever I have for even the short amount of time I have - and use it to show others that they are loved and cared about by me.. and more importantly, by our Heavenly Father.

Leaving my family was a tearful event for all of us, but I have the assurance that as much as I care about them, Jesus cares even more - and I entrust them to Him. I thank the Lord for the opportunities I had while in Honduras to build new friendships, see old friends, and deepen relationships that I have been able to maintain from a distance.Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. Galatians 6:9-10

No comments: