Friday, July 20, 2007

how time flies...

This week has been so rewarding and my only complaint is that time is going by so quickly. I will give a quick rundown of things that stand out from this past week:

Sunday: We said goodbye to two nurses from Arizona, Mireya and Virginia. They were sweet friends and such assets to the work here, and are greatly missed. I spent a lot of this day just taking the time to relax, catch up on work, and get to know the people around me more.

Monday: Another day to make the usual monday/wednesday trek to French Harbor to tutor in the morning. I then came back to find my friend from Ceiba, Cesia, who was on the island for the day to visit with me. She will be away while I'm in Ceiba, so I was SO GLAD she came to visit me. It was so refreshing spending the day with this girl who will always hold a special place in my heart!We then met up with another of our CeibaƱa friends, Lorraine, to have dinner together. I remember looking at them that night and thinking about how much I appreciate their friendship - and all that we've been through together in the past - and how I don't know when we will ever see each other again, this side of Heaven. I truly am able to see and feel such a strong bond that we share as sisters in Christ- we are family even though we come from different backgrounds - and I am forever be grateful for their friendship.
Tuesday: My friend, Raquel, and I woke up early to go to the government hospital in Coxen Hole. This is where many of the poor people on the island go for their health care. I am finding it difficult to put into words all that I saw there, and Raquel and I took quite a while to process it all and are still overwhelmed by the conditions in this hospital. Overall, the place was dirty, using reject equipment, and complete with furry friends... cats.. and rats.
When I was leaving - I asked the taxi driver what he thought of the hospital. He said “Es bueno.” – its good. So I wanted to make sure he understood me – and said – “I mean, do you think it has good service? It is clean? Etc” – and again, he said that it was all very good. Just for kicks, I decided to ask how much a consultation costs – and he told me 5 Lempira (the exchange rate is 19 Lempira to 1 dollar). And then it hit me – I am looking at this place from US standards, and if at home these people have dirt floors and scraps of wood and whatever else they can find to make up their houses, of course this is good conditions – at least the floor is some sort of cement! They have no running water in their houses, so why should they expect it in the hospital? And they get seen there for their illnesses at a price they can afford. Relatively speaking, of course this would be a good place.
How sad.
I can’t help but think about John Rawls – and the decent minimum of health care that is so easy to demand and speak idealistically about in the comforts of the UVA’s fine facilities. Is health care a right or a privilege? And do we consider only our own borders or the entire globe as members of a community that interacts and impacts one another? As I have done the surveys in La Colonia, almost everyone said they go to the Hospital Roatan for their care – mostly because that is what they have always done - and they don’t know that there is something better that is offered. I understand why Peggy was moved to offer something more, something better than what the hospital provided. I understand her vision and desire for what the clinic could one day be and how it could revolutionize health care on the island. And, most importantly – I see the value of what I have at home and am so very grateful.
I can not help but think of how privileged I am – to be from the US, to have an excellent education, to be so powerful. I am challenged by the responsibility I feel to use all that I have wisely –my knowledge and skills- to make a difference and empower the lives of those around me. I look into tired eyes and smiling faces and my heart is moved for a people so poor and yet so happy. I can not believe that THIS is reality for them. There is no – going home – to get clean and wear nice clothes and do fun relaxing things.. This is their life – and the hope is that they will maybe someday have a job, test negative for AIDS, and keep a spouse that doesn’t have another family somewhere else on the island.
ok - so much for a short update....

Wednesday: My last day to tutor - it was sad to say goodbye to the student, as I feel almost a sense of personal responsibility for her - and so much want to help see her succeed in her education. I do hope that she will continue in the tutor program - as education is the key to further themselves and make a lasting difference in the lives of teenagers on this island.
After tutoring, Raquel and I took Lorraine out to lunch for her birthday. I was thankful to be able to treat my friend on this special day - and I see how important it is to make th most of the time we have with the people are in front of us at that moment.Of course, I miss all of my family and friends back home (and around the world) - but I am thankful for this specific opportunity to share my life and love with the Hondurans.

Thursday: I completed my last day of surveys in the clinic (about whether or not patients understand their diagnosis and meds) - and now have the task to compile the information to present tomorrow morning in the staff meeting.

Tomorrow is my last day in Roatan, and then I head to Ceiba until Wednesday when I return to the States. I continue to learn so much and feel as though I cannot begin to fully grasp all that am experiencing – but as I soak in each day and each smile – I know that, once again, I will be forever changed.

No comments: